Cooking with Fohën - Spiced Moroccan chickpea & spinach soup
Spice up those cold dark evenings with this spicy Moroccan chickpea soup. Plus it is healthy too! With 4 servings of veg and pulses in a single bowl, this is truly a super-soup!
To make this dish you will need:
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1½ tbsp harissa spice mix (or use a mixture of ground cumin, coriander, cinnamon and chilli flakes)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 100g giant couscous
- 1 x 260g bag spinach
- 2 tbsp chopped mint or coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
To cook simply follow these steps:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, carrots, celery and a pinch of salt, cover and cook for 8 minutes over a medium heat. Stir in the garlic and spices and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, giant couscous and 1.1 litres of boiled water from your Fohen boiling water tap. Season, cover with a lid and simmer for 10-12 minutes until the couscous is tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach. Replace the lid and let it wilt into the soup. Add seasoning and ladle into bowls to serve. Add a drizzle of olive oil and black pepper.
Save time cooking with a Fohën instant boiling water tap. Read more >