Cooking with Fohen - Gingerbread Biscuits
Bake with the family this winter with our gingerbread recipe. Then why not dip your homemade gingerbread biscuits into a hot tea or coffee. Simply add your coffee or tea to a mug of your choice, use boiling water from your instant boiling water tap, add milk and serve.
- 350g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1 free-range egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
Circular Cutter or Gingerbread Man Cutter
Writing icing (optional)
- Firstly, sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl. Then add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and golden syrup together, add to the bowl and mix until the mixture clumps together. Then pour the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in cling film and leave in the fridge for 15 minutes to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Lightly sprinkle flour on your kitchen worktop and roll the dough out to a 0.5cm in thickness. Using cutters, cut out the circular shapes or the gingerbread men shapes and place on the baking tray, leaving a gap between them.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move to a wire rack to finish cooling. When cooled, you can use the writing icing to decorate.